Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Letter To A Best Friend On Her Wedding Day





Dear S,

When we were in Elementary school in Grace, I can’t count the number of times people confused us for sisters. We pretty much had the same height and built, we had the same last names (CHING), people thought we looked alike, we both had BEAUTIFUL mothers who graced the parking lots as if it were their runways, and it didn’t help that we were always joined at the hip! Remember Mang Nards? The "manong" at the canteen selling us our favorite tetra pack juices?! He always confused one of us for the other CHING sister and could never quite tell us apart. Back then when we were still kids, I didn’t realize the true meaning of friendship YET, but my, was it a lot of fun to have somebody who shared the same interests as I did at that time and somebody to hang out during lunch and recess. We had our own little clique with Madeline and Heidi. 


 
Come High School, things changed when I got separated from our barkada. I was assigned to a different classroom. And at the time, that was like the end of the world for me. I knew absolutely NO ONE and all my friends felt so far away even if you were technically only a few classrooms away from me. Since I was forced to find my own way by making new friends and adjusting to a different environment, we got caught up in our separate worlds that being friends seemed harder. And we didn’t try hard enough to maintain that closeness. I know that "I" didn’t try hard enough and I always regretted that after high school. But I knew that we were both fine, it’s just that we lived different lives already and it always felt like I lost a very big part of me, I felt like I lost a sister. It feels weird that somebody who was so close to you before now feels like a stranger. 





Fast forward many years later, I can’t remember who reached out to whom, but we got reconnected somehow. It felt like old times to be talking and laughing again…and it was our love of the TV show phenomenon GOSSIP GIRL and our passion for FASHION that truly made our bond stronger. Like Blair and Serena, we’re best friends who will do anything for each other. Like Blair and Serena, we don’t always see eye to eye about things yet in the end always find our way back as sisters. Like Blair and Serena, we will always protect each other. I know that we’re ready to fight each other’s battles no matter who we’re facing. Like Blair and Serena, we can accomplish anything if we do it together. Remember stalking ED WESTWICK at Manila Peninsula and doing that successfully?! And finally, Like Blair and Serena, we cannot live without SHOPPING and of course, gossiping! Girls will be girls, after all.




Like Blair, I’m the prim and proper one who likes things in her control and like Serena, you’re the free spirit who’s not afraid of experimenting and being a REBEL (especially when it comes to fashion). Where Blair is CLASSIC and TIMELESS like me, Serena is CURRENT and EVER-CHANGING like you… but it’s those differences that make us bring out the best in each other. We don’t have to compete because we shine in our own ways. I think that’s what makes our relationship special and unique. :) I know I do not share this kind of bond with anyone else. Now that we’re older, I realize now what true friendship means and it’s the kind that I share with you. In this ever-changing world, it's nice to have that sense of security of having friends who will always accept and love you for who you are. You'll always be my "S" and I'll always be your "B"!




On your wedding day, I SHOULD be there…if only you got married sooner than me! We would’ve have had so much fun making your dream wedding happen. I regret missing this once-in-a-lifetime occasion in your life. Nevertheless, I know you’ll look BEAUTIFUL, and I know you will achieve that rebellious bride look you’ve always wanted. By the time that you have to walk down that aisle, remember that THIS IS YOUR MOMENT. Take it all in. Take each breath with gratitude and a positive spirit, knowing that this day was meant for you and your groom BIRDS to enjoy, remember, and CHERISH all your lives. Appreciate the family and friends who are there to celebrate this union with you…because without them it will mean nothing. 




As a couple, you’ve been together for 10 years. That gives me so much comfort knowing that this relationship is tried and tested to last the next 60-70 years! But November 24, 2012 is another start to your life now as an OFFICIAL married couple. Enjoy this new beginning of your journey as husband and wife. I couldn't be happier for you two lovebirds! CONGRATULATIONS! May you enjoy life's blessings and endure life's trials together with the strength of your love. I love you both! 




XOXO,
B

No comments:

Post a Comment